TERMS AND CONDITIONS
We have updated our terms and conditions. Saturday 15/4/2023
‘SOAL’ ‘us’, ‘we’ and ‘school’ mean The School Of African Languages Ltd., trading as The School of African Languages.
‘Client’ and ‘you’ mean the individual student enrolled on a course at SOAL, and any responsible adult they may delegate to make the booking on their behalf.
‘Student’ means the person attending a course at SOAL, as named in the enrolment form sent on booking.
All courses booked at SOAL by the client shall be subject to the following:
- The client shall provide all such information as may be necessary to enable the school to make a fully informed assessment of its obligations as far as the provision of tuition to the attending student.
- Any client who has paid the £40 deposit upon booking are required to pay the balance at least 1 week before the beginning of the course, deposit does not mean the client holds a booking with the school. A booking is not valid until confirmed by SOAL.
- Claims for reductions or discounts under any scheme must be made at the time of reservation.
- Account facilities, including payment on arrival or in installments, will only be granted by special arrangement in advance.
- SOAL reserves the right to withhold or withdraw account facilities at any time without notice.
- We expect every student to be punctual, attend all lessons.
- We keep attendance registers.
- If a student misses a group lesson, regardless of the reason, we cannot give a refund or allow the student to take the lesson at another time. In a majority of cases we will give access to the missed session for a set period of time.
- SOAL reserves the right to refuse admission to any student or to dismiss any student from school in the event of misconduct. SOAL expects students to adhere to SOAL’s standards and rules.
- SOAL reserves the right to adapt and change its rules of conduct at any time and without notice in order to ensure the well-being of all its members.
- SOAL reserves the right to cancel, curtail or alter in whatever way necessary, any course without refund in the event of a student’s breach of these conditions.
- We expect students to behave reasonably at all times towards other students and our online instructors and teachers and to respect cultural, racial and religious differences.
- We expect all students to uphold values of democracy, individual liberty, tolerance, and the rule of law.
- Students who break British law, do not obey SOAL rules, repeatedly misbehave, do not follow the instructions of SOAL or otherwise disrupt or adversely affect the smooth running of the programme may be asked to leave immediately.
- If the student is refused admission or dismissed for misconduct, no fees will be refunded.
CANCELLATION BY SOAL
- SOAL reserves the right to cancel or alter a course. If we do so, we will offer either an alternative course or a refund.
- 1 The Managers of SOAL reserve the right at their absolute discretion to refuse any application for enrolment of a student at any stage of the application or booking process. SOAL shall be under no obligation whatsoever to give reasons for the decision of the Managers. If an enrolment is refused, all paid fees will be refunded.
- 2 Force Majeure:
- 2.1 SOAL is not liable for failure to perform its obligations if such failure is as a result of Acts of God (including fire, flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, infectious diseases or pandemics or other natural disaster that are beyond the reasonable control of the parties), war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (regardless of whether war is declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation, terrorist activities, nationalisation, government sanction, blockage, embargo, labour dispute, strike, lockout or interruption or failure of electricity, internet or telephone service. Refunds will not be made in such circumstances.
- In the event of an outbreak of infectious disease, all students and/or clients are required to comply with rules regarding quarantine as set by government agencies or by SOAL.
- If SOAL asserts Force Majeure as a reason for failure to perform its obligations, then we must prove that it took reasonable steps to minimise delay or damages caused by foreseeable events, that SOAL substantially fulfilled all non-excused obligations, and that the client was, where possible, notified of the likelihood or actual occurrence of the event. SOAL reserves the right to take any fair and reasonable action we think appropriate should a situation arise not covered by these terms.
4.SOAL reserves the right to cancel or adapt its courses in the following circumstances without obligation or refund to the client:
- The client is unable to pay in full at the pre-arranged time.
- The student is unable to arrive at the pre-arranged time, or day.
- The client or student severely breaches any of the terms and conditions referred to herein, after having reserved and/or undertaken a course at SOAL.
CANCELLATION BY THE CLIENT
- If you wish to cancel your booking you must give notice in writing. Cancellations will be effective on the date received by SOAL. Cancellation fees will be charged as follows:
- Less than 48 hours prior to course: loss of full fees
- If you have booked and paid through a representative, any refund will be made to the representative.
- If the student has to stop his or her course early, the fees are non-refundable under any circumstances.
- We are unable to offer credits to students who leave early.
- Fees are non-transferable. This means you cannot transfer your fees to another client or student.
- SOAL can provide a full credit note of the course fees to the client on receipt of written evidence which supports a sufficient reason they could not start the course at the specified time
- SOAL Language School will not be liable to the client and/or student undertaking a course for injury to persons or loss or damage to property .
- The client will make clear any requests regarding restrictions to the student’s participation in activities.
- The client will be liable for any loss or damage to SOAL or to properties SOAL makes use of or to any objects found within these places or belonging to them, including walls, doors, furniture, appliances, books and any private property.
- Any complaint should be brought to the attention of Support immediately so that a satisfactory resolution can be found.
- All complaints will be fully investigated following our Complaints Procedure, providing that:
- The complaint is made while the learner is attending our course.
- The complaint is registered in writing with Support.
- All invoices relating to the student making the complaint have been settled in full.
We do not accept complaints received after the student has completed their course.
PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL, PHOTOGRAPHS & FILMING
- SOAL staff or their representatives will take photographs and videos during our course activities and visits which we may use for promotional purposes on our website and social media pages, in publicity materials and in the press.
- Images will be securely stored and used only by those authorised to do so.
- Parental consent for the use of photographs of under 18s is required by law, and should be either given or denied in the space provided on the enrolment form at the time of booking.
- We will not publish photographs of any individual students whose parents have not granted us consent to do so. We will edit group photographs so that the images of students whose parents have not given us consent are unrecognisable.
- Transfers to other language course are allowed under strict circumstances.
- Transfers must be requested and returned to SOAL a minimum of 14 days before the course start date. Upon receipt of the completed form, SOAL will send email confirmation.
- It is the client’s responsibility to check the confirmation letter carefully and let SOAL know of any errors or changes.
- We keep students’ information in electronic and paper format..
- By accepting these terms and conditions the client accepts our right to use their personal information in this way.
- The client shall not be entitled to utilise the SOAL name, other than for the purposes arranged directly with the school.
- Whilst SOAL Language School has taken all reasonable steps to ensure that the information contained in its website, brochures, tariffs, leaflets and advertisements is accurate, it reserves the right to alter, substitute or withdraw any facility or amenity or adapt any course without notice where thought necessary.
- No variation of these conditions shall be effective unless in writing and signed on behalf of both SOAL Language School and the client
- This agreement shall be subject only to the laws of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
ANY ENROLMENT BY A PARENT OR GUARDIAN AUTOMATICALLY SUPPOSES THAT THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN READ AND AGREED TO.
As the parent, guardian or legal representative of a child under 18 years of age whom I wish to enrol at SOAL Language School, I understand that I am bound by all the terms and conditions which are outlined above and which are clarified below specifically as regards to a minor.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
SOAL has a duty of care towards students under 18.
I realise that SOAL makes every effort possible to separate children into classes according to age. But that this is not always possible and any arrangement made by SOAL is subject to enrolments and availability.
I understand that SOAL has a responsibility towards all its students and to the local population, and I agree to accept any disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the course, taken by SOAL against my child for misconduct or breaches of SOAL rules that threaten the success of the course or the well-being of the local community or the general public